Focus on the Story knows how vital good storytelling is for every nonprofit, as well as how challenging it can be for photographers to secure grants and complete meaningful work.
That’s why we’ve created the Focused Storytelling Grant and Fellowship program.
The Focused Storytelling Grant gives local nonprofits the opportunity to collaborate with documentary photographers from our fellowship program, over a one to three month period. The result is a photo story created to highlight and amplify the excellent work being done by your nonprofit in our community. Armed with fresh visual assets, we hope to help you spread awareness of your program and assist in your fundraising initiatives. In addition to delivering visual assets to your organization for continued use, select projects are exhibited online with our media partner, Confluence Magazine, and recognized in person at our annual festival.
Promising nonprofit applicants will:
- be located in the D.C., Maryland, or Virginia area (DMV)
- hold a 501(c)3 status with the IRS, dated at least six months prior to grant application
- demonstrate financial hardship to afford visual storytelling services
- have an established web and social media presence
- most importantly – be doing great work in their community
Grants are awarded on a rolling basis, and there is no deadline to apply.
Our Focused Fellowship provides a project-based learning opportunity for visual artists who want to assist change makers in our community while gaining experience producing long form storytelling. Each participant receives mentorship, guidance, and review from an experienced visual storyteller. Participants also receive modest stipends (varying, based on project) with no financial obligation to the nonprofits they help.
Promising Fellowship applicants will:
- submit a portfolio containing examples of their documentary photo/video skill
- submit a short essay detailing their fit for the program
- commit to completing a one to three month project, with oversight
- display a personal history of volunteerism (not necessarily photography related)
To apply for a fellowship, email email@example.com.
If you have any questions, comments, or would like to support us in our efforts, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.