Do you have an exceptional photography project to present at one of the nation’s premier photo festivals? Do you have an idea for a talk that will inspire and engage an audience of passionate peers? We’re now accepting proposals to present at the Focus on the Story International Photo Festival’s Visual Storytelling Summit, May 28 – 31 in Washington, D.C.
Tell us about your idea for a presentation. If we like it, we may invite you to speak at Focus on the Story 2020.
If your proposal is accepted, you’ll receive a complimentary registration to the Visual Storytelling Summit, three nights of hotel accomodations and a travel voucher of up to $500.
Tips on submitting a proposal
Only proposals submitted through our Google form (accessed via the button above) by COB Jan. 17 will be considered. In your proposal, be sure to tell us:
- How your presentation aligns with our mission, which is to support visual storytelling that brings attention to critical issues, bridges cultural gaps and sparks social change.
- What our audience will take away from your talk, whether it’s an inspirational message, insight into visual storytelling practice or theory, or some other information that will further their understanding of the photographic arts.
- What special experience or qualifications set you apart from other applicants.
What we want in a speaker
We are looking for speaker submissions with fresh, new perspectives — photo projects that make us wish we had thought of that first. We encourage submissions representing all photographic genres, including fine art, landscape, travel, commercial and multi-media projects.
You should be comfortable speaking in front of an audience — experience doing so weighs in your favor. If your proposal is selected as a finalist, we may ask you to send us a short 3-5 minute video clip of yourself talking about your topic.
Your talk should be engaging, inspirational and thought-provoking. It should not be a promotional pitch for your company, services or website.
More Important Information
If you’re selected to speak at Focus on the Story 2020, here are some things you should know:
- You’ll receive a complimentary festival registration, three nights hotel accomodations in Washington, D.C. and a travel voucher of up to $500.
- We’ll consider the comparable cost of roundtrip air or train transportation from your location in determining the amount of your voucher. Unfortunately, we are unable to cover any other expenses or increase the amount of the travel voucher.
- You are responsible for making all necessary travel arrangements to Washington, D.C. You should plan on arriving to the festival at least a day before you are scheduled to speak.
- We do not pay a speaker’s fee.
- If you’ve already registered for Focus on the Story 2020, upon acceptance of your proposal, we will reimburse you the cost of your registration.
- We’ll inform you via email by Feb. 3 whether your proposal has been accepted.
- We reserve the right not to make any awards under this call for proposals.